Today’s post is a special one in coordination with Jonny’s elementary school’s GREEN Week! They’re going to be celebrating Meatless Monday, turning trash into treasure with recycled art projects, biking and walking to school, and learning how to grow their own veggies at home! I’m thrilled to be able to participate, both by sharing this recipe, and also by planning and executing all of the week’s activities! (Shout out to all the PTSA parents!!!). So a special big hello and welcome to all of our Bobcat friends out there! We’re so happy to have you here!
This post was originally posted in October 2016. // As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Irving and I first discovered the original recipe for this Coconut Carrot Rice in our CSA farm box many, many years ago—it was on a print out along with a big bundle of fresh carrots. Since then I’ve tweaked, adjusted, and veganized it, and it’s become a family staple! This sweet, savory, nutty rice—studded with carrots, ginger, and shredded coconut—is the ultimate comfort food. Perfect for a cozy meal at home, and totally kid approved (more on that later). I think you’ll love it just as much as we do!
How do you make Coconut Carrot Rice?
My Coconut Carrot Rice starts with nutty basmati rice cooked in the Instant Pot, and then is loaded with fresh ginger, carrots, and coconut, all sautéed in coconut oil—sweet ingredients, but a savory dish. I love to make a big batch of this and eat it for meal after meal. It never gets old! It’s an ultimate comfort food dish—I often say that I feel the way I do about this rice as I do mac and cheese.
Jonny loves this rice. In fact, he loves it so much that he helps me make it—he especially likes to man the food processor! Carrots have always been a go to veggie for him—his BFF stuffed animal Nana is a bunny, so logically he’ll eat anything that he thinks she would also like! Even if your kiddo doesn’t have a favorite stuffed bunny in their life, this Coconut Carrot Rice is sure to be a hit. It’s a savory dish that’s packed with veggies, but also has the sweetness of the shredded coconut. Plus it’s a gorgeous orange color….like another kid fave I know! What’s not to love?
MORE OF JONNY’S FAVORITE KID FRIENDLY PLANT BASED RECIPES
- Cherry Chia Pudding: Jonny and I created this recipe last year for his school’s Green Week. It’s a perfect way to get moving in the morning!
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Overnight Oats: another busy morning staple, Jonny makes these on his own most weeks!
- Vegan Dirt Cups: you’ve gotta check out this one and see the video of sweet baby Jonny making his very own dirt cup!
- Vegan Black Bean Soup: Jonny asks for this soup just about every week. If he’s not requesting pasta, he’s requesting Black Bean Soup! Bonus that I can make it ahead and warm it up on busy soccer nights!
- Almond Butter Muddy Buddies — Peanut Free!: another recipe kids can make (almost) all on their own!
- Veggie Mac Pasta for School Lunches: a thermos packed with pasta is always Jonny’s lunch of choice!
A PLANT BASED DIET IS AN EARTH FRIENDLY CHOICE
Did you know that producing just ONE quarter pound beef burger uses enough energy to power an iPhone for 6 months! But did you also know that enjoying just ONE plant based meal a day makes a positive impact on the environment? Yep! It’s easy to make some plant based swaps. Love cereal for breakfast? Swap our your milk for non dairy milk. Skip the meatballs on your pasta for an easy meatless dinner. Or pack some almond butter and jelly in your lunch box! Little swaps here and there add up to big impacts!
What do you serve with Coconut Carrot Rice?
Our favorite way to serve coconut carrot rice is with Mango Dal (pictured)! But you could pair it with any of these yummy entrees for a perfect meal!
- Stuffed Squash with Curried Lentils
- Curried Garbanzo Soup with Tomato Broth
- Mango Chutney Chickpea Skillet
- Mango Dal
- Crispy Air Fried Tofu
Let’s Make Coconut Carrot Rice!
You’re just 40ish minutes away from this yummy Coconut Carrot Rice! Bunny hop into the kitchen and give it a try, and be sure to leave me a comment below letting me know how you like it!
Coconut Carrot Rice
- 2 cups dry basmati rice (prepared, see notes)
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 large onion yellow
- 2 cups shredded/grated carrots (about 6 carrots)
- ½ cup dried shredded coconut unsweetened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon grated fresh ginger (a piece about the size of your thumb)
- 1 cup sliced almonds (omit for a nut free dish)
- cilantro for garnish
- Prepare the rice according to package directions and set aside. (I like to use my Instant Pot for this!)
- Heat coconut oil in a large pot. Add onion and sauté until onion is beginning to be translucent.
- To save time I like to prep my ginger and carrots in the food processor. Fitted with the S blade, I place my peeled ginger in the food processor and process until finely chopped. Then I switch the S blade out for the grating attachment. Grate the carrots right into the ginger.
- Add the carrot ginger mix into the pot with the onions and continue to sauté.
- At this point you may want to add ¼ cup of water at a time, scraping browned onion bits off of the bottom and steaming the carrots a bit. Add shredded coconut, salt, and almonds and mix well. Let cook a few more minutes to let flavors develop.
- Add the prepared rice into the carrot onion mixture and stir to fully incorporate. Sprinkle with cilantro. Devour.