Christmas is my favorite holiday of the whole year! Well, Thanksgiving all the way through Christmas is my favorite—that season conveniently holds our wedding anniversary AND my birthday as well. It’s a good run! Perhaps one of the reasons I love it so much is that it’s an excuse to indulge in some really yummy treats. Green smoothies, we’ll get back to you! This vegan cream cheese peppermint patty recipe comes from my mom. She might be the ultimate Christmas baker! Thanks to her we have Sugar and Spice Cookies, Grandma Henrietta’s Bourbon Balls, Classic Vegan Sugar Cookies, and Vegan Eggnog Punch with Candy Cane Ice Cream. But I digress—back to the Cream Cheese Peppermint Patties!
Vegan Peppermint Patties
Peppermint Patties have always been one of my favorite candies! I love the rich dark chocolate with the kick of peppermint. It’s truly a perfect flavor combo, up there with chocolate and peanut butter! These vegan cream cheese peppermint patties are an easy treat that’s fun to make, and oh so yummy. I made them for a Christmas party a few years back and one of my friends’ husbands declared them the best treat on the buffet table! High praise, well deserved!
Other Peppermint Treats You Will Love
- Chocolate Peppermint Vegan Rice Crispy Treats
- Peppermint Mocha Brownies
- Peppermint Bark
- Vegan Eggnog Punch with Candy Cane Ice Cream
- Candy Cane Ice Cream
Peppermint Patties and Peppermint Cups and Peppermint Dips, Oh My!
I made these in a few different forms—small cups, large cups, and even little mint bites half dipped in chocolate. I think I actually like the half dipped mint bites the best—mostly because they’re the easiest to eat!
Other Christmas Treats You Will Love
- Vegan Thumbprint Cookies — Cookies for Santa
- Christmas Hot Chocolate
- Gingerbread Chocolate Bark
- Sugar and Spice Cookies
- Grandma Henrietta’s Bourbon Balls
I love to hear from you! Please leave a comment on my facebook wall or send me an email at email@example.com. You can follow me on Instagram, via email (subscribe on the right of the screen), Twitter, Pinterest, or Bloglovin’ to make sure you don’t miss a post! Facebook is not as reliable these days, but the more you interact with the page the more posts you’ll see!
I’m on Bloglovin’—follow me to make sure you don’t miss a post!
Cream Cheese Peppermint Patties
- 4 ounces vegan cream cheese like Daiya (soy free!), Follow Your Heart or Tofutti
- 2 Tablespoons vegan butter like Earth Balance
- 1 pound of powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract or use almond, lemon or orange for completely different flavors!
- optional: sprinkles I like Let's Do Organic Sprinkelz
- 2-3 cups of chocolate chips depending on how many you will dip/form into chocolate cups
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil per EACH cup of chocolate chips you use
- Combine cream cheese and butter in sauce pan over low heat. Stir until thoroughly melted and blended. Add powdered sugar and stir until well combined. You may need to turn out the dough onto a piece of parchment paper and knead the dough with your hands to get it to completely mix. Add flavoring to the dough (create a little well in the ball of dough and knead it in).
- Keep the dough covered with a damp paper towel to prevent drying out while you are forming your candies.
- Melt chocolate chips and coconut oil in the microwave. I like to do just 1 cup at a time, melting more as needed. Remember—1 cup of chocolate chips to 1 t coconut oil!
For large chocolate cups:
- Line a standard cupcake pan with paper or silicone liners. Place 1 heaping teaspoon of chocolate in the bottom of each liner and spread it to the edges with the back of your spoon. Take 1 scant tablespoon of the cream cheese mint mixture and roll it in a ball. Flatten it slightly with your fingers, being careful not to press it wider than your cupcake liner. Place the patty on top of the chocolate. Repeat for remaining liners. Spoon 1 teaspoon of chocolate over each mint patty to cover cream cheese mint filling. Sprinkle with sprinkles. Once pan is complete, place in freezer to firm up.
For small cups:
- Follow instructions above, but with the following proportions. 1 scant teaspoon of chocolate, 2 teaspoons of cream cheeses mint filling, and then ½ - ¾ teaspoon of chocolate. Once pan is complete, place in freezer to firm up.
For dipped peppermint bites:
- Scoop 2 teaspoons of cream cheese mint filling and roll into a ball. Flatten with your fingers (I like to leave a double fingerprint). Dip the discs into chocolate covering half. Place on a piece of parchment and sprinkle with sprinkles. Place in freezer to firm up. Mint filling will dry and become less tacky as it chills.
- Once all chocolate is set, store in fridge to prevent melting (I place them in layers in a glass container with parchment paper between the layers). Allow to sit at room temperature for a few minutes before serving. These will keep in the fridge or freezer much longer than you’ll need—you’ll eat them all quickly!
From the Original Post, February 2015….
Valentine’s Day in our house is pretty low key. Irving really doesn’t like the holiday—“why do I need a special Hallmark created day to say I love you?”—and with two little ones date nights are few and far between. My parents babysat the boys last weekend so we could go out for Irving’s birthday, so we’ve reached our quota for the next few months, right? So I’m making a Valentine’s treat just for me! Cream Cheese Peppermint Patties!
^^^ My funny Valentines….who don’t like peppermint…what?