Ok, Curried Chicken Salad* is not a new idea. Not even close. It was a staple in my house growing up, and I’m sure it was a staple for the generation before me. But it is delicious, and everyone should be able to recreate their childhood classics in vegan form. One bite of my Curried Chicken Salad and I was exclaiming to anyone who would listen—”this tastes JUST like the one my mom used to make!!!” Irving thought I was a little crazy, but he didn’t grow up here so this salad wasn’t a thing for him. But it is SO good, and it’s going to be your new favorite too!
* Mine is totally vegan! You can assume that with all of the chicken references here!
I make this salad using Beyond Meat vegan chicken strips. They taste just like the real deal, minus the chicken. I think you could use garbanzos in place of the chicken to keep it less processed, or you could even make a crispy chik’n version using Gardein nuggets, baking them first and then chopping them up and mixing them with the dressing. Lots of options. But the closest to what I grew up with are the Beyond Meat strips.
The dressing on this salad is super simple. Your favorite vegan mayo + apricot/orange/mango jam + curry powder. I know the jam part sounds a little odd if you haven’t made this before, but trust me, it works. My mom always used Major Grey’s Mango Chutney. Last time I made this the store didn’t have it so I just chose an apricot jam and it was delicious. The key is to go with one of the orange colored jams—it seems to work best for taste and appearance.
You can mix and match you favorite mix ins. Grapes are a staple, as are celery,parsley, and green onions. I get to add walnuts to mine now that Jonathan has passed his allergy, but sunflower or pumpkin seeds would also be yummy! I’m pretty sure my mom even put chunks of cantaloupe in when I was a kid, but I’m not a huge fan so I don’t put them in my version.
Give this one a go—it’s a solid staple that will carry you through the rest of the summer. Leftovers pack up well in a lunch box (just be sure to keep it chilled since it is mayo based). I like to add some greens on top in my lunch box and then just right before serving! Make sure to tag me in your pictures after you make this—I love to see what you’re making!
Curried Chicken Salad—VEGAN!
- 3/4 c vegan mayo
- 1/4 c apricot jam
- 2 - 3 t curry powder stick with 2 if you are serving to kids—it can get a little spicy
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 box Beyond Meat Chik’n I like the grilled or lightly seasoned strips in the refrigerated section OR use your favorite veggie chicken, prepared (see notes in post above)
- 1 c grapes
- 2 stalks celery
- 3 scallions
- 1/2 c walnuts chopped
- big handful of parsley
- Mix the mayo, jam, curry powder, salt and pepper together.
- Chop the veggie chicken into small 1/2" cubes and add to a large bowl.
- Slice grapes in half and add them to the bowl.
- Dice celery and scallions and add to the bowl.
- Toast the chopped walnuts in a small skillet until fragrant. Add to bowl.
- Chop a big handful of parsley and add it to the bowl.
- Pour the dressing over top of the ingredients and mix to coat well.
- Serve with greens, crusty bread, or other light salads. Enjoy!