This Curry Chickpea Salad is a perfect lunchtime staple. Its packed with protein filled chickpeas, sweet grapes, and covered in a creamy, tangy dressing.
This post was originally published in August 2016. // As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
One of my favorite things as a recipe creator is recreating recipes from my childhood in vegan form. I’ve veganized so many of my mom’s dishes—her Vegan Texas Sheet Cake, her Vegan Never Fail Fudge, her Thanksgiving Stuffing. Are you noticing that most of these are desserts? This time I’m veganizing one of her savory dishes—her curry chicken salad. This one was on regular rotation in the summers when I was a teen (I think?), and now I make it all year round. It’s so quick to make, it keeps well in the fridge for a couple of days if my kids don’t beat me to it, and its so yummy!
I used to make this salad with store bought chik’n strips. But after I tried it with chickpeas I was hooked! They’re less expensive, less processed, and really yummy. As you’ve probably noticed, I’m a big fan of chickpeas! Chickpea salads are packed with protein, quick to prepare, and make a perfect lunch.
Curry Chickpea Salad
This chickpea salad sets itself apart from other chickpea salads with the earthy flavor of curry. Crunch from celery. Sweetness from mango chutney and grapes. Creaminess from vegan mayo. It’s perfect. Just so, so yummy.
More Vegan Chickpea Recipes You Will Love
- Mango Chutney Chickpea Skillet
- Chickpea Stir Fry with Pineapple (15 Minute Meal!)
- Chickpea Salad with Lemon and Shallots + a Trip to Brooklyn
- Pumpkin Curry Soup
- Vegan Chilaquiles with Chickpeas
- My Favorite Hummus
Let’s Make Curry Chickpea Salad
Give this one a try—it’s a perfect lunch time staple. Leave me a note in the comments below and let me know how you like it!
Curry Chickpea Salad
- 3/4 cup vegan mayo (I like Veganaise)
- 1/4 cup mango chutney (I like Brooklyn Dehli brand)
- 2 - 3 teaspoons curry powder (stick with 2 if you are serving to kids—it can get a little spicy)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cans chickpeas (about 4 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup grapes, sliced in half
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 3 green onions, sliced
- big handful of parsley, chopped
For serving (optional):
- pita bread
- burger bun
- In a large bowl mix the mayo, chutney, curry powder, and salt together.
- Add 2 cans of drained chickpeas to the dressing. Using a potato masher, smash the chickpeas to a rough chunky consistency, mixing them with the dressing.
- Add the third can of drained chickpeas into the mix, and mash slightly, leaving a chunky texture.
- Add the sliced grapes, diced celery, sliced green onions, and chopped parsley to the bowl. Mix well.
- Serve in pita pockets, in a lettuce wrap, or on a burger bun. Enjoy!