This dairy free onion gravy is perfect for the holidays! It’s super flavorful, and so simple to make!Thanksgiving menu! And that, my friends, is my onion gravy! I’ve been making this gravy for years—it’s a staple holiday recipe in our family!
Dairy Free Onion Gravy
My onion gravy is actually adapted and veganized from one of my mom’s recipes. The ingredients are so simple—just onions, olive oil, all purpose flour, salt, garlic, and water. Seriously! Depending on what you count as ingredients, that’s just 4, or 5! By sautéing slowly over a medium low heat, the onion gives the gravy lots of deep flavor that complements practically any dish on your Thanksgiving table. Then I thicken it up by adding some all purpose flour and forming a sort of roux. If you want to keep this gluten free feel free to use corn starch in place of the flour. I like to blend my gravy at the end so that it’s smooth and drizzly, but if you like a chunky gravy you can just dice the onions instead of slicing them, and then skip the blending step.
Vegan Mashed Potatoes and Gravy
Onion gravy wouldn’t be complete without smothering mashed potatoes, would it? You definitely need to grab the recipe for my classic mashed potatoes—they’re a perfect pair! You can make both recipes in less than 45 minutes!
MORE HOLIDAY RECIPES YOU WILL LOVE!
- Cranberry Orange Relish
- Vegan Red Wine Gravy
- Easy Vegan Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts
- Aunt Betty’s Vegan Apple Pie
- Stuffed Squash with Curried Lentils
- Maple Lime Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Vegan Green Bean Casserole
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes with Fried Onions and Bacon
Let’s make Dairy Free Onion Gravy!
Are you ready? Let’s make some dairy free onion gravy! This is sure to be a hit on your Thanksgiving table! Be sure to leave a comment for me below, letting me know how you liked it! Don’t forget a star rating!
Onion Gravy for the Holidays — Dairy Free!
- 1 large yellow onion (not sweet)
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons all purpose flour (sub cornstarch for gluten free option)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 clove garlic, minced (or sub 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 2 cups water
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Slice onion into thin half moons (*see note below for chunky gravy).
- Place them into the pan and sauté them over medium heat for 20 full minutes (don't skimp—this is where the flavor develops! For a darker gravy you can sauté for 30 minutes if you'd like, just don't let them burn!).
- Once the onions are translucent and browning, add the all purpose flour and stir well. This will form a roux, and it will be a bit dry and crumbly.
- Add the salt and garlic powder and continue to stir.
- Slowly stream the water into the pan, scraping up the brown bits with a wooden spoon (that's where all the flavor is!).
- Let the gravy simmer for 10 minutes to develop the flavors and to thicken.
- Carefully transfer all of the gravy to your blender and blend until it reaches desired consistency.
- Serve up your gravy as part of your holiday feast! Enjoy!