Easy vegan Kid Friendly Guacamole — a must have for any family’s recipe repertoire! Quick tips and secret ingredients make this both kid and grown up approved!
This recipe was originally published in September 2012.
I haven’t always liked avocados. In fact, I really have only liked them for about 5 years. I know—how could I have been missing out for so long? But after a long day of wine tasting with Irving, my brother, and my sister in law, I was starving, and there was guacamole. And right then and there I declared my undying love for it and wondered how I had been missing out for all of these years! Creamy, salty, and fresh! So good! Perfect for dipping with chips and queso, topping enchiladas, a nacho bowl, or for making a taco filled with black beans! We make this easy vegan kid friendly guacamole weekly!
Kid Friendly Guacamole
We are a family of avocado lovers! But, when David was little the bite from red onions was a little too much for him. I would always end up making separate batches for him and Irving and I. And I got tired of it. So I started using my secret weapon—onion powder. The onion flavor mixes through all of the mashed avocados, but there’s no tangy bite….and better yet….no obvious chunks for my kids to pick at! Kid friendly and grown up approved!
When I make guacamole I am always careful to remove the seedy center of the tomatoes. Too many seeds make for a watery guacamole, and that is no bueno! You can save the centers for veggie stock, a soup, or simply discard them. They don’t have much flavor on their own.
Are you a cilantro lover? Or do you think it tastes like soap? I am a cilantro lover….though I didn’t always know that I loved it! When Irving and I were first dating he offered to make me some of his famous Dominican beans…that started with two bunches of cilantro. I was slightly panicked, as I wasn’t sure that I liked cilantro….and this was admittedly a large quantity! Turns out that when it’s used correctly it’s pretty darn delicious, and makes for a really bright and fresh flavor! If you don’t like cilantro, first, I am SO sorry! And second, you can omit it. No worries! But I encourage you to give it a shot!
Look how easy it is to make Kid Friendly Guacamole!
I hope you have a chance to try my tips and tricks in your guacamole—maybe for a Cinco de Mayo feast? Take a picture of your spread, and let me know how it goes! Most of all, I hope your kiddos like this easy vegan Kid Friendly Guacamole! Let them join you in the kitchen for some avocado mashing action—they’re going to love it!
Easy Vegan Kid Friendly Guacamole
- 3 avocados (ripe, but not mushy)
- 1 lime (juice only)
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 clove fresh garlic (minced)
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tomatoes (I like Romas)
- 2 Tablespoons cilantro finely chopped
- Cut open the avocados, scoop out the flesh and place into a bowl.
- Add the lime juice, onion powder, garlic, and salt. Using a potato masher (or wooden spoon), smoosh the avocado until it is just slightly chunky. Set aside.
- Remove the outer flesh of the tomatoes, and discard the seedy centers.
- Dice the flesh into small pieces.
- Add tomatoes and cilantro into the avocado mixture and mix gently to incorporate. Taste and adjust salt if needed.
- Serve right away with tortilla chips, on top of your favorite burrito, with a big taco bowl—just eat it!