Rice is a weeknight staple for us—let me show you how to cook long grain rice in the Instant Pot! You’re just a half hour away from perfectly cooked, fluffy rice.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
How to Make Long Grain Rice in the Instant Pot
In our house we affectionately refer to our Instant Pot as “the rice cooker.” Seriously. We must make rice at least 3 times a week, and always in the Instant Pot. (have you ever seen the 50 pound bags of rice at Costco and wondered who in the world buys those? Yeah, this girl does!)
In our old house we had sort of a low powered gas stovetop, and we made our rice there without any trouble. We knew the settings of the stove, Irving had this trick with a paper towel, and voila—perfect rice! When we moved and redid our kitchen we got a stove with more “juice.” It has 6 burners, each one with full high heat capacity….which has led to a lot of burnt, crunchy rice. We laughed at ourselves, as we’d been cooking rice on the stovetop for years. How could we of all people not get this right? What was wrong with us that we needed a fancy gadget to make the rice? But alas, the Instant Pot cooked the rice perfectly every single time, so we’ve embraced it.
Making Weeknight Meals Easier
The Instant Pot sounds like it should make food….instantly, right? Spoiler alert: it doesn’t. It does, however, remove a lot of hands on time from the equation. I call it the “hands off pot.” When we get home from a busy evening of sports I love that I can pop the rice into the IP and let it do it’s thing while I move on to other parts of the meal…..like my Sweet Chili Tofu! If it finishes before I’m ready it just sits and keeps my food warm for me. It really does make weeknight cooking easier!
Coconut Rice in the Instant Pot
Irving’s favorite request is for me to make coconut rice in the Instant Pot. I tried to make it a few times with coconut milk, but the texture was off, and it just didn’t cook right. Instead I tried using a spoonful of coconut oil and it’s perfect! It adds plenty of coconut flavor, and it pairs well with Irving’s Dominican beans. We love it! I’ll leave a note in the recipe card with complete instructions.
Main Dishes to Serve with Instant Pot Rice
- Sweet Chili Tofu (with Air Fried Tofu!)
- Baked Tofu with Tomatoes, Lemon, and Capers
- Oil Free Vegan Refried Black Beans — Frijoles de Cabo
- Sweet and Sour Tofu
- Vegan Black Bean Soup
More Popular Vegan Instant Pot Recipes That You Will Love!
- Instant Pot Basmati Rice
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes with Fried Onions and Bacon
- How to Make Perfect Black Beans in Your Instant Pot
- Holiday Orange Spice Cake in the Instant Pot!
- Vegan Instant Pot BBQ Meatballs (+ stovetop instructions)
- Instant Pot Quinoa with (optional) Coconut, Lime, and Cilantro
Let’s make Rice in the Instant Pot!
Are you ready? You’re just a half hour away from perfect rice! Whip this up alongside your favorite tofu or beans for a delicious weeknight meal. Leave a note for me in the comments and let me know how it goes!
How to Cook Long Grain Rice in the Instant Pot
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 2-4 teaspoons coconut oil optional, see notes
- Place the dry rice into the stainless steel liner pot of your Instant Pot.
- Add the salt (and coconut oil if using).
- Pour the water on top and give a quick stir to coat the rice (so it's all wet).
- Place the lid on your Instant Pot and twist to lock. Set to sealing.
- Cook the rice on manual pressure for 10 minutes (it will take about 10 minutes to come up to pressure, 10 minutes to cook, and 10 minutes for pressure to release).
- After the pressure has released for 10 minutes (LO:10 on my Instant Pot) turn the valve to "venting" and release any remaining pressure before opening.
- Using a wooden spoon or spatula, fluff the rice really well (the pressure really compresses the rice).
- Serve and enjoy!
Leave a Reply