This Instant Pot sushi rice is the perfect foundation for all of your favorite meals, and will be on your table in just 30 minutes! It’s a weeknight win!
“The Rice Cooker”
In our house we affectionately refer to our Instant Pot as “the Rice Cooker.” Sure it’s great for beans and veggie meatballs and quinoa. But the number one way we use it in our house is to make rice. And we make rice A LOT. In our old house we had a bit of a wonky, not very powerful gas stove, and we had the settings figured out just right to make rice easily. We thought we were pros. We moved to our new house and replaced the stove with a powerful 6 burner gas stove…..and promptly burnt every pot of rice we made. What? How was this even happening to pros like us? I turned to my Instant Pot. It churned out perfect rice every single time. So easy. No checking. No fiddling. I’m hooked. Perfect rice in under a half hour, while I am free to prep the rest of dinner. Win!
How do you Make Sushi Rice In Your Instant Pot?
Sushi rice is a short grain rice. It cooks a teeny bit faster than its cousins Basmati and Long Grain. However, it still uses the easy 1:1 water ratio. 1 cup rice. 1 cup water. Salt. Done! From start to finish it will take just under 30 minutes. It’s so easy! (note: this recipe is for cooking short grain sushi rice, but we don’t actually make sushi with it. We simply serve it as a side dish!)
Other Vegan Recipes to Make In Your Instant Pot
- How to Cook Long Grain Rice in the Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Quinoa with (optional) Coconut, Lime, and Cilantro
- Instant Pot Basmati Rice
- Vegan Instant Pot BBQ Meatballs (+ stovetop instructions)
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes with Fried Onions and Bacon
- How to Make Perfect Black Beans in Your Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Arroz con Gandules (Pantry Staple Recipe)
- Holiday Orange Spice Cake in the Instant Pot!
Easy Weeknight Meals
My go to “I don’t feel like cooking but my kids still need to eat” meal is rice, tofu, and a green veggie. Usually crispy air fried tofu and broccoli or cucumber salad. I pop my tofu in the press for a few minutes while I prep the rice. Then while the rice cooks I take care of the rest. Dinner is done in 30ish minutes, and it’s total comfort food.
Meals Quick Meals to Serve with Instant Pot Sushi Rice
- Sweet Chili Tofu (with Air Fried Tofu!)
- Chickpea Stir Fry with Pineapple (15 Minute Meal!)
- Vegan Waikiki Meatballs — Pantry Staple Meal
- Sweet and Sour Tofu
- Teriyaki Tofu
- Vegan Cabbage Fried Rice with Tofu
- How to Make Air Fried Broccoli (3 variations)
Cooking Time in an Instant Pot
An Instant Pot is a bit of a misnomer, as it’s not truly instant! While the “cook” time may be short (just 5 minutes!), it takes time to come up to pressure, and also takes time to release pressure. In the case of this Instant Pot sushi rice, it takes about 25 minutes to complete the cooking process. This gives you time to gather the rest of your dinner, so that it will all be ready at the same time!
Let’s Make Instant Pot Sushi Rice!
Ready for a delicious bowl of rice in under 30 minutes? Let’s do this! Leave a note in the comments below and let me know how you like it!
Instant Pot Sushi Rice
- 2 cups sushi rice (see notes)
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Place the rice, water, and salt in the liner of your Instant Pot. Stir together (I like to make sure the rice is fully covered by the water.).
- Close the lid of your Instant Pot and set to sealing.
- Set your Instant Pot to manual/high pressure for 5 minutes (it will take about 10 minutes to come to pressure, 5 minutes to "cook," and 10 minutes to naturally release pressure).
- Once the Instant Pot has naturally released pressure for 10 minutes you can turn the valve to open to release any remaining steam.
- Once the pin drops open the Instant Pot. The rice will be quite compact due to the nature of pressure cooking. Simply fluff it up with a spoon and it's ready to serve!