I am so excited to be taking part in the Vegan Bowl Attack blog tour today! Vegan Bowl Attack is a new and exciting cookbook from Jackie Sobon, author and blogger of Vegan Yack Attack. You might remember some instagram posts of mine last fall, as I worked as a recipe tester for the book. It was so much fun to take a sneak peak behind the scenes and see some of the process for making a cookbook (insert future goal here!). I was able to try several recipes when I tested, and I look forward to working my way through the whole book. Everything we’ve tried so far has been enjoyed by my whole family.
The premise of Jackie’s book is food served in bowls. Breakfast foods, lunch foods, snack foods, dinner foods, dessert foods. Foods in bowls all day long! Irving and I tend to eat out of bowls most of the time—we’re not crazy about keeping foods from touching like our kids are—we pile everything in and enjoy (hey, less dishes to wash!)! This book was perfect for us—foods that actually made sense together, all in the same bowl!
Today I will be sharing Jackie’s recipe for Kim Chi Bowls with Red Curry Almond Sauce. In a word—delicious! And easy too. Store bought kim chi (yes, there are LOTS of vegan brands available), adzuki beans, rice, broccoli, and an easy to whisk up sauce. Did I mention EASY? Yes! My kind of meal!
This bowl was a hit with all of us. Irving spent a year living in Korea so he loves all things kim chi. The boys thought the kim chi I picked was a little spicy so I didn’t give them too much—I let them fill up on the yummy beans and broccoli, and of course SAUCE (the secret to getting kids to eat anything and everything, amiright?)!!! I liked it all. The sauce was a little bit sweet, the kim chi was a little bit spicy, the broccoli was fresh and healthy. YUM!
^^^ Kids’ Meal!
Allergy note: the recipe calls for 2T of almond butter. As you probably know, we can’t do almonds because of Jonathan’s allergies so I swapped in our favorite peanut-free peanut butter. You could also use seed butter and it will be delicious.
I hope you all give this recipe a try—I know you’re going to like it. If you’d like to try more of Jackie’s delicious recipes check out her blog and enter below to win a copy of the cookbook! Be sure to take a picture of your fabulous bowl and post it on social media—tag Jackie and me— @veganyackattack and @frieddandelions. Can’t wait to see your creations!
Kim Chi Bowl with Red Curry Almond Sauce
For the bowl:
- 1 cup 184 g long-grain brown rice
- 2 cups 245 ml water
- 1/2 pound 225 g broccoli florets
- 1 can 15 ounces, or 425 g adzuki beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon 15 ml liquid aminos
For the red curry almond sauce:
- 21/2 tablespoons 38 ml water
- 2 tablespoons 32 g almond butter
- 2 teaspoons red curry paste
- 1 to 2 tablespoons 15 to 20 ml lime juice
For the assembly:
- 1 cup 170 g store-bought vegan kimchi
- 2 tablespoons 16 g black sesame seeds
To make the bowl:
- Place the rice and water in a rice cooker (that has a steamer basket) and cook for 20 minutes or until the rice is soft.
- For the last 5 minutes of the rice cooking, place the broccoli florets in the steamer basket and cook until bright green and slightly crunchy.
- In a small pot over medium heat, mix the adzuki beans with the liquid aminos and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
To make the red curry almond sauce:
- Whisk all of the ingredients together until smooth.
- Divide the rice and broccoli among 4 bowls.
- Divide the adzuki beans among the bowls.
- Place one-quarter of the kimchi in each bowl and drizzle the red curry almond sauce over the top. Garnish with the black sesame seeds and serve.
a Rafflecopter giveaway