This easy mango chutney chickpea skillet comes together in less than 30 minutes. Packed with easy flavor, this is a must for your weeknight dinner rotation!
On Tuesday morning I drove the boys to school…as I do every single day. I lamented the gloomy weather, as I also do every single day this time of year—it’s par for the course in January in Seattle, but after 22 years of living here I still complain about it. I mentioned to the boys that I was hoping to take photos for the blog, and the clouds were not cooperating with my desire for natural lighting. David asked me what I was going to be making—I replied “chickpeas cooked in a skillet with mango chutney, shallots, and tomatoes.” To which he replied “yum, that sounds so good!” Then later that evening I served the leftovers from my photoshoot for our family dinner—Jonny served himself seconds, and then asked if he could have the remaining leftovers for his lunch the next day. Seriously, how cool are these two? The very best ever!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Mango Chutney Chickpea Skillet
This yummy and wholesome dish is the ultimate fast weeknight dinner. It takes less than 30 minutes to make—seriously. I pop some basmati rice in my Instant Pot and get to work. Sauté some shallots, add in the chickpeas and tomatoes, top with a jar of mango chutney. Instant dinner. And one that you can feel good about too!
Major Grey’s Mango Chutney is essentially a mango “jam” filled with flavors like ginger, garlic, and garam masala. I grew up using it in my mom’s Curried Chicken Salad (due for an update!). It’s really versatile and gives great instant flavor to just about anything. I love dipping frozen samosas in it too! Because it is so packed with flavor it makes for a really quick weeknight dinner because you don’t have to prep all of the aromatics. Just pour and stir! I really like the Brooklyn Dehli brand—a cool woman owned business! Their vegan tikka masala sauce is also awesome—we have it seemingly every weekl poured over my Crispy Air Fried Tofu.
Where do you get your protein?
Are we tired of this question yet? I think the answer is yes! Chickpeas are packed with protein, and are so easy to doctor up to make a delicious meal! My mom says she doesn’t like whole chickpeas because they are “a lot of bean in each bite.” I suppose she’s right! If garbanzos are too much “bite” for you, try something a little softer like kidney beans!
More Vegan Chickpea Dishes you will Love!
- Chickpea Stir Fry with Pineapple (15 Minute Meal!)
- Vegan Chilaquiles with Chickpeas from Veggie Inspired
- Chickpea Salad with Lemon and Shallots + a Trip to Brooklyn
- Pasta Power Bowl (vegan + GF option)
Let’s Make this Mango Chutney Chickpea Skillet!
Are you ready to whip up this easy weeknight meal? Let’s do it! Leave me a note in the comments below and let me know how you like it!
Mango Chutney Chickpea Skillet
- drizzle olive oil
- 1/2 cup shallots sliced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups grape tomatoes sliced (about 24 grape tomatoes)
- 2 cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans) drained
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 3/4 cup mango chutney (look for "Major Grey" chutney)
- big handful of cilantro for garnish chopped
- Drizzle the olive oil into the pan. Add the sliced shallots and cook them over low heat, allowing them to begin to brown.
- Add the minced garlic and sauté.
- Add the curry powder and mix well to coat the shallots.
- Add the chickpeas and tomatoes and mix again.
- Pour the chutney over the chickpeas mixture and mix. Allow to simmer over very low heat for about 5 minutes to let the flavors meld.
- Remove from the heat, and top with large handful of chopped cilantro and mix it in!
- Serve overtop of rice, or use to fill a pita bread pocket. Enjoy!