This vegan strawberry compound butter is the perfect topping for all of your brunch time favorites — waffles, French toast, bagels, you name it!
A few weeks ago I was knee deep in chocolate birthday cake…and the strawberry frosting that went with it. As I was testing I had an idea—what if I added the strawberries to the butter in the frosting, but omitted all of the powdered sugar? Would it work? Would it be the perfect topping for toast? The answer is—YES! Yes it is! It is super simple to make—hello food processor—and tastes delicious! It’s perfect on toast, pancakes, waffles, and bagels! It feels pretty. It feels fancy. It’s…..Strawberry Compound Butter!
What is Compound Butter?
Compound butter is simply butter softened, mixed with other flavor elements, typically savory, and then reshaped and chilled. Common compound butter flavors are made with herbs like chive, parsely, rosemary, and sage, as well as citrus.
How do you make Strawberry Compound Butter?
Strawberry Compound Butter is SO easy to make! In fact, Jonny helped me with one of my test batches from start to finish, doing everything except for zesting the lemon! I start with my favorite trick—freeze dried fruit (check out my frosting and popcorn recipes). In this case I use strawberries, and I pulverize them completely in the food processor. Then I add butter, vanilla extract, agave, and lemon zest. Run the food processor until it forms a smooth spread. Then scoop it out and place it in a small container and chill in the fridge. Done! (see, I told you that was easy!).
Strawberry Compound Butter is perfect for all of your brunching needs! It adds a pretty element to the table, and is delicious served on top of French toast, pancakes, waffles, and bagels! Ooh—it would be so yummy served with my Maple Dinner Rolls! The gorgeous pinky red color lends itself well to lots of holidays as well! Give this a try for Mother’s Day, Valentines, Christmas, even 4th of July! (Need a gluten free waffle recipe? Check this one out!)
Lots of ways to serve Strawberry Compound Butter!
Strawberry Compound Butter would be delicious served alongside these brunch favorites….
- Maple Dinner Rolls with Aquafaba
- Vanilla French Toast with Strawberry Sauce
- How to Make Vegan Coconut Bacon
- Vegan Monkey Bread with Apples and Cranberries
- Hippie Breakfast Bowl — Chia Pudding
Ready to make Strawberry Compound Butter?
Let’s get started! Simply pop 5 ingredients …. yes FIVE …. into the food processor and let it whirl! You’re less than 5 minutes away from Strawberry Compound Butter! Give it a try, and drop me a note (and rating) in the comments below after you’ve made it to let me know how it goes!
Strawberry Compound Butter
- 1 ounce freeze dried strawberries (see notes)
- 1 stick dairy free butter (I like Earth Balance)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons agave
- 1 lemon, zest only
- Add the strawberries into your food processor, being careful to check for any packets of silica (remove if you find one). Run the food processor until the strawberries are completely pulverized.
- Add the remaining 4 ingredients. Run the food processor until the ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Transfer to a small container and refrigerate until serving time. Texture will firm up slightly.