Taco Soup is a weeknight staple, a one pot dish, and a 30 minute meal all in one! Full of hearty, protein packed ingredients, it’s got the flavors of tacos served up in a warm and cozy soup.
This post was originally published in March 2016. // As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I think that most families have a core set of meals that they rotate through on a regular basis. Something that checks all of the boxes—easy to make, quick to make, yummy to eat, reasonably healthy, kid approved. Growing up, Taco Soup was a staple for my family. It feels like we had this at least once a week, although it was probably more like once or twice a month. Taco Soup was always a hit with my brothers and sisters and I—probably because we got to load it up with tortilla chips and cheese! And now it’s a hit with my own kiddos! Check!
Easy Weeknight Meal
Taco soup couldn’t be easier to make. It makes good use of ready to go foods like canned beans, canned tomatoes, and packaged taco seasoning. Throw in a little quinoa while it cooks. Truly dump, stir, and simmer. Then load it up with vegan cheese, chips, avocados, cilantro, and green onions! While I would love to tell you that this is a 30 Minute Meal, it’s more like 35 minutes….gotta cook that quinoa!
Using canned beans is a no brainer for a quick and wholesome protein. I like to use black beans, but you could also use pinto beans, or a mix of both. I also add quinoa to my taco soup. I just cook it right in the soup, keeping this to a one pot meal. I have added jackfruit before (which is not a protein) and it gives the visual effect of shredded chicken. You can also add Impossible Ground Meat or Beyond Ground for a beefy flavor (in fact, growing up we called this Taco Beef Soup).
Share with Friends
Taco Soup is a perfect vegan dish to share with non vegans. The ingredients are familiar, and not “weird vegan ingredients!” I’ve delivered this to friends and it’s always well received! Soups always seem like a good choice to share with friends in need, as they are comforting, familiar, and easy to veganize! Not to mention that they pack and reheat easily too!
More Yummy Vegan Soup Recipes You Will Love
- Barley Soup with White Beans and Kale
- Restaurant Style Vegan Lentil Soup
- Pumpkin Curry Soup
- Barley Minestrone Soup
- Vegan Black Bean Soup
- Vegan French Onion Soup
Let’s Make Vegan Taco Soup
You’re just 35 minutes away from this yummy one pot dinner! Leave me a note in the comments and let me know how you like it!
For the Soup:
- 1 T vegetable oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 cans black beans (15 ounce size)
- 1 packet taco seasoning (1 ounce size, see notes)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup dry quinoa rinsed
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (14.5 ounces)
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups frozen corn
For the Toppings:
- diced avocado
- chopped cilantro
- sliced green onion
- shredded cheese (we like Violife Mexican style shreds)
- tortilla chips
- Heat oil in a large soup pot on the stove over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook until starting to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add the black beans, the taco seasoning, and the salt. Stir well.
- Add bay leaf, rinsed quinoa, and crushed tomatoes and stir again.
- Add the water and stir to combine everything.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and allow to cook for about 20 minutes, until quinoa is tender.
- Add the frozen corn and allow to cook for 5 more minutes to allow the corn to heat through.
- Remove from the heat. Serve with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano