Try the viral hack for TikTok cinnamon rolls the vegan way, and make it festive for the holidays with dairy free eggnog, and a yummy nutmeg frosting!
TikTok Cinnamon Roll Hack
Have you heard of the viral TikTok Cinnamon Roll Hack? I only heard of it this fall, and when I excitedly told my mom about it she said “oh, yeah, we tried that already!” I guess I am late to the party! Better late than never? The hack calls for baking store bought “pop can” cinnamon rolls in a baking dish with cream poured over top, resulting in really gooey, soft, and delicious cinnamon rolls. I had to try it for myself, and I’m happy to say that yes, it works, and that they are really yummy when prepared like this! I’ve kicked them up a notch for some holiday festivity and I bake mine with vegan eggnog!
Store Bought Cinnamon Rolls are Vegan!
Did you know that most canned cinnamon rolls are accidentally vegan? Yes!!! My favorites are the organic cinnamon rolls from Trader Joe’s. Annie’s Cinnamon Rolls are also vegan, and I can often find a 3 pack in the refrigerated section of Costco for a great deal!
Does Pouring Cream Over Cinnamon Rolls Really Work?
When assembling these cinnamon rolls it feels like there’s no way this will work! So much liquid! But it really does. While the original idea uses heavy cream, I first tried these with oat milk. It was great! I decided to make these a little more fun for the holidays and use vegan eggnog, but any non dairy milk will work just fine.
Special Baking Instructions for the Cinnamon Roll Hack!
Because you are pouring milk over the cinnamon rolls, you’ll want to bake these in a baking dish, rather than a cookie sheet. I also find that they need a bit more time to cook all the way. I bake mine for a full 30 minutes (when the package calls for 20). You could even go as long as 35 if you’re making a double batch—you want the cinnamon rolls to be soft and gooey….but not raw!
How Can you Make Canned Cinnamon Rolls Taste More Homemade?
There’s a time and a place for homemade cinnamon rolls….and there are plenty of times for the canned variety! (I’m looking at you, long weekends!). One way you can make canned cinnamon rolls taste a little less “commercial” tasting is by mixing up your own frosting. It takes just a couple of minutes and can be made while you’re waiting for the rolls to bake.
These TikTok Cinnamon Rolls are Perfect for…
- a snow day!
- cozy weekend at home
- a holiday break!
More Easy Vegan Breakfast Recipes!
- Apple Streusel Muffins
- Vegan Cinnamon Rolls with Orange Buttercream Frosting
- Vegan Cranberry Orange Muffins
- Eggnog Latte Granola
- Drool-Worthy Vegan Cinnamon Donuts
- Cinnamon Roll Bread Pudding with Apples
Let’s Make TikTok Cinnamon Rolls with Vegan Eggnog!
Are you ready to try the viral TikTok cinnamon roll hack? Leave me a note in the comments below and let me know how it works for you!
Tiktok Cinnamon Rolls
For the Cinnamon Rolls
- 1 can "pop can" style cinnamon rolls, vegan (I like Trader Joe's and Annie's brands)
- 1/2 cup dairy free eggnog (or try oat milk!)
For the Frosting
- 1 Tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 Tablespoon vegan eggnog (or other non dairy milk)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg (just a few shakes)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Cinnamon Rolls
- Preheat your oven to 350º.
- Arrange your cinnamon rolls in an 8x8" square baking dish.
- Pour the eggnog overtop of the cinnamon rolls. It will be very wet and liquidy.
- Bake the rolls for 30 - 35 minutes, or until beginning to brown.
- Remove from heat and set aside until ready to frost.
For the Frosting
- While the cinnamon rolls are baking, place all frosting ingredients in a small bowl.
- Using a hand mixer, mix the ingredients until creamy. (alternatively, use your stand mixer. Whisking by hand is possible, but difficult to get a smooth consistency)
- Once the cinnamon rolls have baked, spread the tops with a dollop of the frosting. It will melt quickly on the hot rolls.
- Serve and enjoy!