Holiday Orange Spice Cake in the Instant Pot!
Make a Holiday Orange Spice Cake in the Instant Pot! Total game changer!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time35 mins
Total Time45 mins
Servings: 6 servings
- 1¼ cups 150 g whole wheat pastry flour (or *use a gluten-free baking mix)
- 1½ teaspoon 4 g ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ cup 120 ml orange juice with pulp (about 1 medium orange)
- 1/3 cup 80 ml maple syrup or agave nectar
- 2 Tablespoon 14 g ground flaxseeds
- 3 Tablespoon 41 g melted coconut oil (or **use applesauce)
- 2 Tablespoon 12 g orange zest (or 1 tsp orange extract)
- ¾ cup 75 g dried cranberries or diced dried dates
- ½ cup 55 g chopped walnuts or pecans (omit for nut free option)
Oil a 6- or 7-inch (15- or 17.5-cm) Bundt pan and set aside.
For the dry ingredients, mix the flour, cinnamon, allspice, baking soda and cloves in a medium- size mixing bowl.
For the wet ingredients, Combine the juice, syrup, flaxseeds and oil in a large measuring cup. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well. Fold in the mix-ins.
Spread the cake mixture into your prepared pan and cover with foil.
Put the steel insert into your Instant Pot, pour in 1½ cups (355 ml) water and add the stainless steel steam rack with handles that came with your Instant Pot.
If your pan does not fit inside the rack handles, you will need to fashion some handles out of aluminum foil to lower the pan into the cooker. Tear off two pieces of foil about 3 feet (1 m) long, fold each one lengthwise two times. Lay the foil handles out on the counter in a plus sign near your cooker. Place your pan in the center, where the two pieces cross. Pull the handles up and carefully lift the pan into your Instant Pot.
Place the lid on with the steam release handle set to sealing, or closed; cook on high pressure for 35 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally.
Once the pressure indicator goes down, remove the lid, lift out the pan using the foil handles and remove the foil that’s covering the pan.
Let cool so that it cuts easier; it will crumble if cut warm.
If you don't have a small bundt pan, look around your kitchen and see what else you can use. I happened to have a small silicon cake pan that fit in mine. Be creative!
Recipe from The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook For Your Instant Pot © Kathy Hester, 2017. Published by Page Street Publishing Co. Reprinted by permission of the author. Available wherever books are sold.