Lemon Blueberry Space Cupcakes — Soda Boxed Cake Mix Hack
The legendary Soda Boxed Cake Mix Hack — just two ingredients and you're ready to celebrate!
For the Cake:
- 1 box vegan cake mix (I used European Gourmet Bakery Organics)
- 1 12 ounce can cream soda (I think lemon soda would be good too (I used Zevia))
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 batch frosting (see notes)
- 3 bags Surf Sweets gummy rings—we used peach and watermelon flavors
- 24 dum dum lollipops or other small round lollipop
- 2 small packages of Skittles
- Let's Do Organics Sprinkelz or other vegan sprinkles
For the Cake:
Preheat your oven to 350°. Line your muffin tins with 24 paper wrappers. Set aside.
Pour your cake mix into a bowl. Scoop out 1 T of cake mix and mix it in with the frozen blueberries (this is supposed to keep the color from bleeding and the blueberries from sinking to the bottom, so I've been told!).
Pour the can of soda and the lemon extract into the mix—it will bubble quite a bit. Mix well, but don't over mix. Add the blueberries into the batter and mix gently to distribute.
Fill each cupcake paper about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way full with the batter (divide the batter evenly among the 24 cupcakes).
Bake at 350° for 20-22 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before decorating.
For the Decorations:
Using a small round cutter (I used the wide end of a piping bag tip), cut out the center holes of the gummy rings to make the hole bigger. Slide 1 gummy ring onto each unwrapped lollipop (around the candy part) and set aside.
Frost each cupcake, decorate with sprinkles, add a few Skittles planets, and one planet pop. Enjoy!