Vegan Pasta Bolognese with Lentils
Vegan Pasta Bolognese with Lentils is a family favorite, and the ultimate comfort food. Rich, creamy sauce packed with protein—all the ingredients you'll need come straight from your pantry!
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Servings: 6 people
- 1 pound pasta (I like short cut pastas for this, like Rigatoni, use gluten free pasta if needed)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (can sub 1/2 teaspoon of dried garlic powder if out of fresh)
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning (or use dried oregano)
- 1 15 ounce can lentils (see notes)
- 1 jar marinara sauce (choose your favorite brand!)
- 1 15 ounce can coconut milk, cream only (refrigerate overnight and separate the cream from the water)
- fresh herbs for garnish
- vegan parmesan cheese
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt generously and cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
In the meantime, prepare the sauce. Pour the olive oil into a large skillet (large enough to hold the pasta if possible).
Heat over medium low heat and add the garlic. Cook until fragrant, but not brown.
Add the Italian seasoning and stir well while continuing to heat.
Drained and rinse the lentils, and add them to the garlic mixture. Mix well.
Pour the marinara sauce on top and stir again.
Carefully open the coconut milk, and skim off the separated firm white cream. (you can save the water for a smoothie!)
Add the coconut cream to the marinara sauce and mix well, and heat until slightly bubbling.
Add cooked pasta to the sauce and mix well to fully incorporate.
Serve! Garnish with vegan parmesan and whatever fresh herbs you have!
For the Lentils:
You can use dry lentils in this recipe as well. Cook about 1/2 cup of dry lentils according to package directions, and then proceed with this recipe. If you don't have lentils at all, try a can of white canellini beans!