These Macadamia Coconut Chocolate Chunk Cookies are sure to be a hit. Loaded with sweet and salty flavors, in a classic chocolate chip cookie dough, they’re a total package!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Macadamia Coconut Chunk Cookies
Macadamia nuts have long been one of my favorite nuts. Scratch that. Not one of. The favorite! They have such a delicious, almost creamy flavor, and the roasted salted macadamias make a perfect snack. The sweet onion flavored macadamias? Perfection. Over the holidays I was baking cookies and knew that macadamias paired with chocolate would make a perfect bite. Add some coconut and they would be over the top. All of my favorite flavors in one cookie. I hope they’re your favorite too!
Macadamia Nuts—Yes, Really!
If you’ve been reading for a while now, you know that Jonny was diagnosed with multiple food allergies as an infant. I haven’t written many updates since those hazy early years, mostly because while we are always aware of his food allergies, they have become such a normal part of our life that it becomes second nature, and not “note worthy.” Over the years we have steadily challenged his allergens, working closely with his allergist (do not try this at home!), and have whittled his list down to “just” eggs, peanuts, cashews, and pistachios. And he is working on building tolerance to peanuts right now! It’s pretty exciting, and such a very long way away from where he started as an infant! His most exciting recent win was macadamia nuts! Exciting for the rest of us, I should add. Jonny really doesn’t care, and didn’t even really enjoy them. Not sure how that’s possible, but he was underwhelmed! More for me I guess!
White Chocolate Chips or Dark Chocolate Chunks?
Ah, questions of importance! Which chocolate is your favorite? I’m a dark chocolate girl, through and through. I tried these with some vegan white chocolate chips because they are the traditional pairing with macadamia nuts. While the cookies were yummy, white chocolate is just not my fave. Feel free to try them, but know that dark chocolate is the best!
How do you Make Macadamia Coconut Chocolate Chunk Cookies?
These Macadamia Coconut Chocolate Chunk Cookies start with a basis chocolate cookie recipe. Coconut and Macadamias are mixed in for extra flavor and decadence. And there’s one “secret” ingredient—soy sauce! Yes, you read that correctly. Soy sauce in lieu of salt gives a delicate earthy umami flavor to these that is so delicious (a fun trick I learned from Joy the Baker). If you’re not feeling adventurous, feel free to just use regular salt.
Vegan Egg Replacer
After trying a few different vegan egg options I’ve concluded that Ener-G egg replacer is the winner for these, and most cookies! It never lets me down. It gives the perfect rise, the perfect binding, and they don’t spread uncontrollably. And one box will last you FOREVER. You could also try making a chia or flax egg if you’re not able to find Ener-G. (Oh, and also, even those these are egg free, you still shouldn’t eat the raw dough—I mean, at least try to resist! Raw eggs aren’t the only safety risk—raw flour isn’t good for you either!)
Allergy Friendly Swaps
Admittedly these cookies aren’t the most Top 8 Allergen friendly cookies. But….we can make some easy swaps! If you can’t do macadamia nuts you can swap a different nut. Or you can omit and double the chocolate chunks—yum! If you can’t have soy, skip the soy sauce and use regular salt. If you can’t do gluten you could try making these with a 1-1 gluten free flour, but I haven’t tested them that way. If you give them a try, please report back!
Other Vegan Cookie Recipes You Will Love
- Classic Vegan Sugar Cookies
- My Favorite Vegan Cookies
- Sugar and Spice Cookies
- Vegan Thumbprint Cookies
- Homemade Graham Crackers
- Black and White Cookies from NYC Vegan
Let’s Make Macadamia Coconut Chocolate Chunk Cookies
You’re just a half hour away from ooey gooey delicious cookies, straight out of the oven! Leave me a note in the comments below and let me know how much you love them!
Macadamia Coconut Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- 2 1/2 cups (365 g) all purpose flour see notes
- 1/2 cup finely shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup (2 sticks) vegan butter (I like Earth Balance
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce (I like San J tamari, if you can't have soy, use 3/4 teaspoon salt instead)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 Ener-G vegan egg (1 1/2 teaspoons Ener-G powder + 2 Tablespoons water)
- 1/2 cup macadamia nuts, rough chopped (I used roasted and salted)
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (I use Enjoy Life chocolate chunks)
- Preheat the oven to 350º. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the all purpose flour, the coconut, and the baking soda. Set aside.
- In your mixer cream together the butter, sugars, soy sauce, vanilla, and Ener-G egg (I don't pre-mix the egg, I just add the powder and water directly to the bowl). Mix until well combined and "fluffy."
- Add the dry flour mix to the butter mixture, a little bit at a time. I mix it in 3 additions.
- Stir in the macadamia nuts and chocolate chunks by hand.
- Scoop the dough into large balls, about 2 Tablespoons, and place on prepared pan. Arrange the cookies so that they will have room to spread—I usually bake about 8 at a time.
- Place cookies in preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- When you remove the cookies from the oven they will still have soft centers. Carefully smack the cookie sheet on your (heat safe) counter, or on the stove top to make the cookies sink in the middle. This helps to give them great chewy edges.
- After a few minutes, transfer to a cooling rack, allow to cool and enjoy!