These quick and easy homemade vegan pizza pockets are so much better than anything you’d find in the frozen food section!
Vegan Pizza Pockets
I am SO excited to share my new Vegan Pizza Pockets recipe with all of you today! This idea has been swirling around in my head ever since I made my pastelitos this past winter. (Yes, recipes swirl around in my head….always!) So today is the day!!! Bonus: sweet David was my sous chef on these, and I’ve got a video for you! He is too cute—I know I’m biased, but oh my goodness—you’re going to love him! Somedays I wonder if I should just hand him the reigns to the blog….this kid! Be sure to catch him in the video at the 46 second mark when he goes level 100 vegan and eats cold Daiya cheese. Whoa.
Better than the ones in the freezer section!
Back to the Vegan Pizza Pockets! When I was in college I regularly ate entire boxes of those frozen little pizza bites. They were so terrible, yet so delicious. Especially at 1am. I’ve kept my eyes open for a vegan version, but I’ve never come across them at any of my local stores. Do they even exist?
Well, no worries! Vegan Pizza Pockets could not be simpler to make—they come together with 4 store bought ingredients plus a little aquafaba (you know, the famous bean juice leftover from a can of beans). I mean, does it get any easier than that? Nope! Plus you can control the ingredients. Puff pastry + pizza sauce + vegan cheese + vegan pepperoni = pizza pocket happiness!
More Snack Food you will Love!
Because everyone always asks— “where did you get that little pie cutter tool?” The little pie crimper gadget used in the video can be purchased here!
These were such a huge hit with my family! I served them up for dinner with a salad and honestly—we could have all eaten about twice what we had. The boys inhaled them—such a great little snack to serve them after school! And of course, they’re really easy to make with your kids too! Set up a filling bar and allow them to customize their pizza pockets—olives, cheese, veggie sausage or pepperoni! They’ll love them! Leave a note in the comments below and let me know how they go!
Vegan Pizza Pockets
- 1 package frozen puff pastry thawed in fridge overnight*
- 1 jar pizza sauce
- 1 package vegan cheese
- 3 Tablespoons aquafaba liquid reserved from a can of beans
- vegan pepperoni
- vegan sausage
- Allow puff pastry to thaw (you can move it from your freezer to refrigerator to allow it to thaw overnight).
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a clean floured surface roll out one sheet of puff pastry slightly.
- Cut the puff pastry into 12 rounds using a cookie cutter (optionally you can cut it into squares)
- Place each round onto prepared baking sheet.
- Top each piece of puff pastry with a small dollop of pizza sauce—about 1 - 2 teaspoons.
- Top with cheese, and fillings. Add 1/2 teaspoon more of pizza sauce on top of the fillings.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 with the second sheet of puff pastry.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the edges of the puff pastry rounds that have the filling on them with a bit of aquafaba, one at a time.
- Carefully stretch each piece of reserved puff pastry a tiny bit and place on top of the topped/filled pieces on the tray.
- Crimp the edges, either using the tool shown in the video or with a fork. Be sure to go all the way around to prevent the filling from oozing out.Top each one with a new round of puff pastry. Crimp the edges closed using a fork.
- Repeat with all 12 pizza pockets.
- Make a small slit in the top of each pizza pocket with a sharp knife to allow the steam to escape during baking.
- Brush the tops of all pizza pockets with more aquafaba.
- Bake in a 400° oven for 20 - 25 minutes (probably closer to 25 minutes, but check early just in case!), or until the tops are golden brown and crisp.
- Allow to cool and serve!
You May Also Like
^^^ Call me crazy but I totally think this looks like a luchador mask!
Don’t forget to pin this recipe!